22nd – 27th July 2019
Following the fantastic launch last year, we are delighted to be running the Jersey Summer Music programme again this year. The Jersey Academy of Music Summer Course is open island-wide to young instrumentalists of Grade 2 level and above, aged 9 to 18. With our focus on ensemble playing, we will be creating new trios, quartets and quintets and bringing together larger groups to rehearse and perform.
Based at the Jersey Academy of Music, Chateau Vermont, this course is open island-wide to young instrumentalists of Grade 2 level and above, aged 9 to 18. With our focus on ensemble playing, we will be creating new trios, quartets and quintets and bringing together larger groups to rehearse and perform.
- Junior Programme: Children aged 9 to 13 have an exciting and varied programme, with musical mornings and different activities every afternoon including Seafaris and Beach Activities.
- Senior Programme: More experienced instrumentalists aged 14 to 18 will participate in a specialised programme of musical tuition, with optional activities and concert opportunities.
- Visiting Faculty: In addition to the JAM teaching team, guests from UK specialist music schools including Trinity Laban Music Conservatoire will visit for coaching and masterclasses. We will once again welcome trombonist Steve Thompson, pianist Hayley Parkes, violinist Damon Flanagan, flautist Abbie Burrows, and cellist Richard Boardman with his wife Justine for Yoga sessions!
- Jersey Heritage: We are excited to be working together with Jersey Heritage on Friday 26th July 2019 to provide a musical finale to their Creative Castle week at Mont Orgueil. Younger students will have the opportunity to make their own musical instruments, and all students will perform in a ‘moving concert’ with performances taking place all over the castle! All fully open to the public, should be a great atmosphere at the castle this day.
- Guest Ensemble: At the last course we all greatly enjoyed the London Vegetable Orchestra, and this time we wanted to do something different, alternative, and equally whacky and fun! So through contact with a Manchester-based organisation called Street Style Surgery we are going to be bringing over a…..Beatboxing-classical-violinist! Faz Shah combines beatboxing with playing, incorporating a loop-station and Arabic folk music, and specialises in delivering exciting workshops to get young musicians to really push the boundaries of what’s possible with their instrument and voice. Really looking forward to this!
- Concert Platforms: There will be many concerts during the week, including performing at Georgetown Methodist Church, and the Senior Programme students will also perform to the younger children on the JMS Summer Course during the week.
Visit the Jersey Summer Music website (click here) for further information, pricing, and application forms. We look forward to welcoming lots of children and young musicians for a week to remember!